Sunday, June 16, 2013

Red wood Bonsai forest #6

Hi everyone 
Today I was out riding my bike and was stopping by the local flower shop. Normally they do not have bonsai trees, but the owner had gotten around 20 - mostly Chinese Elms in poor quality.
At the back he had this little forest of Red wood. It is nothing special and is one of these mass produced forests you can find everywhere. 
The price was right and I thought I would make some out of it. It will for sure not be a pretty bonsai forest for the next 5-10 years (...at least!)
It has different "mistakes" but with time I can maybe fix them... we will see.

Next spring I will probably repot the forest. Take all the trees up individually and "re-place" them into a new big training pot. They fore sure need a repositioning as they are planted very flat and no depth are really existing in this oval very narrow pot. I am not sure if the new composition will be with all 9 trees or only 7.
This summer I might place the trees as they are in a bigger pot(without cutting the roots), as the trees are in very bad soil and should have been repotted a couple of years ago.

The tree as I bought it.
Nine little trees placed more or less a bit random in the pot.

Close up of the trees. 

A view from below and up.






The main trunk are dead from 4/5 and up, so a new trunk from one of the lower  branches needs to be made.
I did not see this when I bought the tree.
This will maybe look funny in the final design, so I might remove the main tree and only keep 7.

A inspiration picture on how the design could end up looking like in 10 years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment